Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Owen, Natalie and Peter each have a long list of big achievements that I'm so very proud of: first steps, first words, first day of preschool and big kid school, learning to swim etc. But I don't just feel incredibly proud of them when they accomplish something major, every single day they do small things that make me swell with pride.

Sometimes it's as simple as when Peter zippers his own jacket, or when Owen counts to 100 while reading his Chicka Chicka 123 book or when Natalie reads a book to the boys. And sometimes it's these seemingly small things that, when examined more closely, turn out to be so important. 

This past November Natalie and I went to a party for one of her school friends who had missed the first of the school year because of cancer treatments. This little boy had only been back at school for a couple of weeks so Natalie (and I) didn't know him or his friends and family very well, but we felt it was important to celebrate with him.  

The party was in the basement hall of a local church. When we arrived there were only a handful of kids running around playing and they all seemed to know each other well. But Natalie's best friends was due to arrive any minute. So we hung back, ate some sushi and chatted at a table facing the dance floor where the kids were chasing balloons while dance music boomed from speakers set up on a DJ's table.

After a while the DJ started playing games and even gave out a few prizes. Natalie was feeling shy and despite my urging she sat waiting patiently for her friend to arrive. After a few minutes I texted her friend's mom and learned that they'd forgotten about the party and weren't coming after all.

We chatted about her friend not coming and I could see the disappointment wash over her face. After a few minutes I could tell she really wanted to get up and play the games, but she was feeling timid. To encourage her I told her that I was shy sometimes as a kid, but I'd learned that if I let it hold me back, I missed out on a lot of fun. It's hard to be brave, but it's worth it.

She hugged her bear close, hopped out of her chair, hugged me and joined the party. I was so proud my heart was bursting and I had tears in my eyes.

I know it won't always be that easy, but hopefully little lessons like these will add up and help them  with the big things life throws their way.


No comments: